Saturday, August 29, 2009

Before




The objective of this blog is to depict the real-life processes of redecorating a room and the joys and road blocks that may come along with it. I am firmly determined to keep to a tight budget, which I will eventually share. I am a twenty-something with limited means after all. But I don’t want to sacrifice any style. I have recently taken up sewing, and I will most likely be making curtains and pillows. I may skimp on some things, but will be willing to spend on others. Ikea, Etsy.com and local thrift stores will be my resources for furniture and decor I may want to replace.

My first task has been to take inventory of what I have, what I want to get rid of (either as a donation or at the tag sale), and what I want to purchase. I’ve included some before photos of the room. I am willing to get rid of the big stuff: the bureau, the bookcases, the desk and chair, the night table (although reluctantly- it was a antique store purchase several years ago, but the paint job I gave it made it sticky). I realize it may cost me more money to replace these things, but I am sick of the problems each item causes. Let’s take the desk area for instance. Although I love having the space on the desk, it more often is a catchall for all the papers in my life; bills, invitations, drawings from my nieces, my boyfriend’s crumpled receipts (gah!) and the like. Filing once a month doesn’t cut it. A more organized inbox and outbox is needed. Another problem area is the bureau. A purchase from target years ago, its drawers are too small for my volume of clothes. Despite recent downsizing, I still manage to pack them full and the clothes get bunched and wrinkled. Because the closet is so small, a wicker basket at the end of my bed serves as another home for my clothes. Rifling through it in the mornings like I usually do when I’m rushed makes for large and frequent messes. I’m ready for more hanging space. I want a wardrobe.


No comments:

Post a Comment